Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Apple Pudding

I have the BEST apple dessert recipe for you. Unfortunately, I have no pictures. I made it for a church ladies function, and there was none made it back safely for pictures. But trust me on this, you need to try it.

2nd note, forget that it's called a pudding. (Think bread pudding ?) Naw, forget the name. It's a cake, about the same texture as a carrot cake. Now, go make it. Here's the recipe:
(and, as with most recipes, you could use butter or margarine, but butter is better)

Best Ever Apple Pudding
Cake:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, soft
1 egg
2 large apples, shredded
1 cup flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped, optional

Gradually add sugar to butter. Cream well. Add egg, beat hard. Shred apples, add at once. (You don't have to peel the apples, just core them.) Stir in sifted dry ingredients. Add nuts (optional). Bake in 8" pan @ 350° for 45 minutes. Cool slightly, but best served warm.

Butter sauce:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canned milk (evaporated)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
dash of nutmeg

Stir butter, sugar, and milk in saucepan until blended and slightly thickened. DO NOT BOIL. Add vanilla and nutmeg. Serve warm cake with warm sauce and whipped cream.

Last notes: I like it cold, too, but it's better if you at least heat up the sauce. And, for my tastes, whipped cream is too rich on this cake. I prefer cool whip. And for events (which are a good excuse for a rich dessert) I double it and bake in a 9x13 pan. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment